Advent and Christmas carols, messages and services abound across Canada
A roundup of music and prayer from dioceses across Canada and beyond
Despite many buildings closed due to pandemic-related restrictions, the Anglican Church of Canada has had no shortage of digital worship throughout Advent, with more to come in Christmastide. By no means is this a complete list, but here’s a roundup of some of the recordings and messages from the past few weeks.
Lessons & Carols
Many Lessons & Carols services can be watched on YouTube. We’ve compiled a playlist you can scroll through, of diocesan services (as well as a few others)—in particular, the national event of Lessons & Carols: From Coast to Coast to Coast, which features Primate Linda Nicholls and contributions of many at cathedrals across Canada.
To scroll through the list of YouTube videos, click the button at the top right corner of the video frame below (to the left of “Watch later”).
Additional Lessons & Carols services links (from other websites and YouTube videos which could not be linked above):
Christmas 2020 Service (Diocese of Calgary)
Christmas Lessons & Carols at Cathedral of St. John the Baptist (Diocese of Eastern Newfoundland & Labrador)
Festival of Lessons and Carols with Bishop Larry Beardy (Indigenous Spiritual Ministry of Mishamikoweesh)
Christmas Lessons & Carols (Diocese of Quebec)
Four Churches Joint Service of Lessons & Carols (Territory of the People)
Festival of Nine Lessons & Carols from Whitehorse (Diocese of Yukon)
Other links of interest:
A Service of Healing (Diocese of Central Newfoundland)
St. Timothy Hymn Festival (Diocese of Edmonton)
Christmas hymns on piano (Diocese of Edmonton)
Christmas Lessons and Carols with Bethlehem, a livestream service from the Episcopal Diocese of Pennsylvania and the Episcopal Diocese of Jerusalem
Advent and Online Worship, Scottish Episcopal Church
A Service for Advent with Carols, via BBC, at the Chapel of St John’s College, Cambridge, UK
Christmas messages to the dioceses
Many bishops and archbishops have posted Christmas messages and/or sermons online for all to read, watch or listen to. We’ve included those which were known to us at the time of posting.
- Arctic (see Calgary for Metropolitan’s message)
- Athabasca — “Greenwood Christmas Celebration 2020”
- British Columbia
- Caledonia—Advent reflection in the Caledonia Connector
- Central Newfoundland
- Eastern Newfoundland & Labrador
- Indigenous Spiritual Ministry of Mishamikoweesh—none known at posting
- Kootenay—as part of Kootenay Contact email update
- New Westminster
- Nova Scotia & Prince Edward Island
- Ottawa—Christmas message in December’s Crosstalk
- Quebec—as part of the diocese’s Christmas Lessons & Carols online service
- Rupert’s Land
- Saskatchewan—Bishop Adam Halkett and Bishop Michael Hawkins
- Territory of the People—via the Territory Bulletin
- Western Newfoundland — none known at posting
- Yukon—none known at posting
Take note that the Christmas message from our Primate and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada’s National Bishop, Susan Johnson, is found below.
Happy Christmastide to one and all!